Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Pedometer Data

Each year, the Carol M. White Physical Education Program (PEP) awards millions of dollars to schools and community-based organizations to initiate, expand, and improve physical education programs.  My school district received the PEP Grant last year with some requirements associated with continuous funding for the next couple of years.... (my brain might not be working properly so if that sentence doesn't make sense I don't really care.  I don't want to spend extra time thinking right now.)  

To ensure funding the district is required to collect pedometer data and pacer test scores for all students K-12 five times a year for three years.  Where my exhaustion comes from today is keeping track of the little suckers pedometers.   Students are to take the pedometers home and the following day clip them on their pants after getting dressed.  Then before going to bed take them off, record steps for the day and repeat for four full days.  Pretty easy with the older students but remember I teach Kindergarten, First and Second- AKA Busy Bodies!  The pedometers are constantly swinging from their pants only holding on by the back-up clip.  For the past two months I have been handing them out, collecting the data, keeping track of who has not turned in their pedometer or paper or both.  Uhh, I am exhausted just thinking about it!  I have noticed instead of planning and preparing my lesson plans I am going over lists of missing information. 

On the bright side of my day, after reffing some 7th & 8th grade Hoops I went for a run and it WAS NOT on a dreadmill! Whoop! Whoop!  I started packing my school bag this morning and throwing in extra clothes to wear with my ref shirt and then more for working out at the HS gym.  Then I realized I would feel safe running at night in the smaller town where I teach so just in case I threw in even MORE clothes for the cold weather if I decided to run outside.  The weather was a perfect 38 degrees with a small breeze.  My legs were a little cold in capris but it was WAY better than having to run inside or paying for a day pass.  Operation "In Search of a Gym" is still in progress.

Scoping out Christmas lights on a night run really made my night!



 This was not from my run tonight but taken last weekend in Fargo, ND.  Those have to be the best lit trees I have ever seen!

John 8:12
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

1 comment: